Bridges now offers a convenient connection to the latest industry activities and experiences. Bridges Express offers hands-on industry experiences that can be brought to your school or classroom.
Simply, determine which offering you’d like to visit your school. (see list of current offerings below) Be sure to understand the approx. length of time needed for a visit, based on the item you select. Then, select the time and date you’d like the activity brought to your school by completing the simple online form on the right side of this page.
This ticket/request will be reviewed by Bridges and industry partners, and once approved, you will receive a confirmation
email about your scheduled visit and any other pertinent information needed for the visit.
Question? Contact Mary Gottsch, (218) 822-7117, Executive Director of Bridges Career Academies & Workplace Connection.
Current Bridges Express Offerings
(NOTE: New opportunities will be added throughout the year, so check back often!)
What is it?: Mobile CNC (Computer Numeric Controlled) Machine
CNC Machining is the use of computers to control machine tools, such as lathes, mills, routers and grinders to cut metals and plastics to create parts or components that are assembled into a final product offered for sale Precision machined parts are used to make many of the products we use every day in industries such as medical, aircraft, computing, printing, agricultural,industrial equipment and recreational vehicles.
- Time Requirements: normal class hour
- Space Requirements: Mill is unloaded from an enclosed trailer and rolled into classroom/shop. Will fit through a 36” door. Operating dimensions are 84” high, 74” wide and 61” depth. Power requirement is 1 Phase, 240V @ 30 A. In addition demonstration requires access to Wi-Fi. We will supply our own projector, screen, laptop, speakers.
- Classroom Prep: Instructor is furnished with a lesson plan to present to the class prior to the scheduled visit to introduce the students to manufacturing career, CNC Machining technology and what they will be experiencing during the live demonstration. Lesson plan can be completed in one class hour. Students should be courteous and respectful. Students and educator must take a pre- and post-visit survey.
More info: The Office Mill from HAAS isn’t just a student demonstration tool. It was designed for high-volume production and rapid prototyping of small, high precision 2D or 3D parts. Though the HAAS houses 20 tools, its compact size brings performance and reliability to manufacturers that are unable to house a standard machine into their facilities.
Thanks to the unit’s size — it can fit through a 36” door and is light enough for most freight elevators, the HAAS Mill is ideal for student exposure and Advanced Manufacturing career exploration. The machine, along with its transporting trailer, were purchased with support from members of the Lakes Area Manufacturers Alliance, Advisory Board members of Central Lakes Machine Tool Technology Program and Central Lakes College. The unit is kept at the Machine Tool Technology classroom at CLC in Staples and is available to visit local schools and career exploration events. Representatives of the Manufacturing industry accompany the Mill to speak to students about careers associated with this technology.
What is it?: short description here
Longer description here
- Time Requirements: 00 minutes in classroom, 00 around equipment
- Space Requirements: Explain how it will get to the school here. Need approx 00′ x 00′ of space and 000 amp outlet
- Classroom Prep: students should have basic background on ______________ and be prepared with questions. Students should be courteous and respectful. Students and educator must take a pre- and post-visit survey.
More info: Provide more details here, if needed