This March, help your students play!
For the past 13 years, the Bridges Career Academies & Workplace Connection has hosted the Career Exploration Day, an annual special event offering more than 2,500 high school students from 28 local school districts a unique way to meet business professionals and explore careers. Due to Covid-19 crowd restrictions, Bridges is prevented from hosting this event in 2021. Despite this, Bridges is offering students an opportunity to explore the hundreds of careers available to them and to better understand local career options.
Watch this short video to learn how this new website works and how to incorporate it into your classroom or career-readiness activities. If you have additional questions, contact Mary Gottsch or your Career Academies Coordinator.
Enhance Student Learning by:
Using this website as:
- an individual, class, or small group class activity by having students complete the Game Card for extra credit, an assignment, or class project
- a Bridges Academy career experience requirement (Bridges teachers only — log your activity here)
- a class lesson in student-teacher advisory time
- an AVID classroom activity (individual or team assignments)
Include in your PLC Meetings— strategize with your colleagues to promote website career-related classroom activities at your school
Hold preparatory student discussions, such as:
- the type of lifestyle their career choices might provide
- the effect that post-secondary education can have on employment and salary
- your own experiences in the job market and your career planning process
- the importance of career management as a life-long process
- Invite guest speakers to talk about their career journeys and the importance of goal setting
- Invite employers, or workforce professionals to your class to discuss the world of work, the importance of career management, and employer expectations.
Visit the Educators Resource page for more ideas!
- Educators Handout about Career of Games (11" x 17" pdf)
- Sample Game Card (8.5" x 11" pdf)
- Promotional tools for your school
To promote regional career opportunities by leading and encouraging students to
explore pathways that meet their skills, interests and abilities
Features of Bridges new online career exploration experience:
- The website offers 10 industries from our communities to explore, featuring 67 popular local careers.
- Links for related careers expand the potential exploration to include more than 200 additional possible career options.
- Interactive, career-based skills labs, simulations and activities (labeled as Career Skills Activity) offer students virtual insight into what each career is like.
- These activities aren't supposed to be instructive (teaching the students knowledge or a skill), but rather offer an interactive sample of what future education/experiences in this career field might be like.
- The Ask A Professional feature allows students to read career-related questions answered by regional professionals and post-secondary partners.
- Professionalism is expected. Just like attending the in-person event, it is a privilege for students to be afforded this opportunity.
Funding for this new Bridges project is being provided in part by Sourcewell, the Central Lakes Perkins Consortium, the Initiative Foundation, and the Crow Wing Power Community Trust fund. The Bridges Career Academies & Workplace program appreciates continued partnerships with the Brainerd Lakes Chamber of Commerce, Central Lakes College, MSTATE, Rural MN Cep, and area school districts.