Choosing a Career
Exploring careers is an exciting process and one that can have life-changing impact. Spend time with each of these important steps to find the career path that is right for you.
1. Skills Assessment
To begin your career exploration process, take one or more of the self assessments linked below to find out what you like and don’t like, and discover your current skill strengths.
Match your Interests to Careers
- Skills Assessment (by Minnesota State CAREERwise Education)
- Career Cluster Interest Survey (by Minnesota State CAREERwise Education)
- MNCareers Interest Assessment (by Minnesota State CAREERwise Education)
Match your Skills to Careers
2. Research Careers
What careers are available in your local area, how much to do they pay and what sort of training will you need? Does the career require creativity or the ability to stand all day? Use these tools to better understand your options and the types of careers best suited for your skills.
- Minnesota Careers (by Minnesota State CAREERwise Education)
- Career Explorer (by MN DEED)
- Minnesota Career Information System (requires a log in)
- Minnesota State Career Search
3. Search for Training/School
Once you’ve settled on a career path, the next step is finding where you can get training or continued education to meet the requirements of the job.
- Options in High School (by MN Dept of Ed)
- CAREERwise Education Search
- College Board
- Minnesota State
- Minnesota Private Colleges & Universities
- Minnesota Office of Higher Education
- College Search (National via US Dept of Education)
Tips on paying for college