Finding Your First Job
Finding your first job can sometimes be a challenge. Businesses want experience and you need a job to get experience. Hopefully, the steps below will help you understand the process and give you a few tips on how to secure your first job.
1. Plan your search
Networking — Networking is simply talking to people you know – parents, relatives, teachers, coaches – about your desires to work. Show enthusiasm and share what types of skills you have or what type of work you want.
- iSEEK networking tips
- CareerOneStop networking tips
- Social Media — Use your online tools to help with your job search. But remember, most everything you post online is also viewable by a potential employer.
– MN DEED social media tips
– Understanding your online image (CareerOneStop)
Research Employers — Research companies you’d like to work for. Local Chambers are usually a great starting point, as are trade associations.
- Research Local Businesses who are Bridges’ partners
Search for jobs — Use our easy-to-use Career Depot to search for jobs exclusively for 15-18 year olds
2. The Hiring Process
Applications — Get the interview by making sure your application or resume is as good as it can be.
Resumes — First jobs usually don’t ask for resumes or cover letters, but here are a few links to help you when you do need those tools.
- iSEEK resume tips
- MN DEED resume tips
- E-class from MN DEED on resumes
- CareerOneStop resume tips
- MyFuture resume advice
Interviewing — This is your chance to sell your skills and abilities.
- iSEEK interviewing tips
- MN DEED interviewing tips
- CareerOneStop interviewing tips
- MyFuture acing the interview
Follow up — Don’t forget to follow-up with whomever you had the interview.